Sunday, October 7, 2007

Church

Today was church day; aka Sunday. Church was really nice this morning. The worship was pretty cool with one song just blowing me away, giving me goosebumps. They had the whole choir and orchestra, percussion and a band going on this one song and man was it good. The advantage of a big church is a huge choir with more instruments; thus more worship styles and songs that can be done. The sermon was good as well. He said a couple of things that made me extremely uncomfortable because one was close to heart and the other was a "convicting moment".
Oh, I was glad that he didn't make fun of catholics this time, made fun of baptists which was really funny, because I brought my "non-christian" friend Curby to church. If you've been keeping up on my blogs this name should sound familiar; indeed, she is the same non-christian friend that I had brought to Camp Rudolph and had mentioned in that blog post. Go re-read it if you forgot; it's a good one.
But the sermon was based on Luke 7:11-16 and about when God "visits" us or when you know He is around or something, I forgot the majority of it. But he said something about baptism and believer's baptism which just struck more than I thought it would cuz the way he was talking about seemed to be the situation I find myself in now. That sent me into thinking about baptism and what it means, how it is in the bible, what would happen if I did get "re-baptized", what my parents think, what my mom would think, how they would react, do I want to in the first place, do I want to join this church, do I want to become part of something where the majority of the time I don't belong, etc. Thinking of this and the other crap that's been going on for weeks now can really make feel burdened, so you can guess why I didn't like the pastor talking about that but is it something that God is trying to get me to think about? I can't see how this would help with anything nor further His kingdom or do His will but who knows, I'm blind compared to God with such things. It was good though because Katie and I made meatloaf and brownies tonight for dinner and a movie kind of shindig. While the meatloaf was cooking, about an hour, we were talking about the sermon and church and IV and how our lives are too busy and I asked her, why we feel called to that church? Why we keep going back when time after time we feel so unwelcomed there, when we know absolutely no one and in a big church the person you meet one sunday you'll probably never see again. I was making the point that a main draw for new comers to keep coming back to the church is if they feel welcomed and if they meet people and gain some kind of friendship with some of the members there. We don't have that yet we keep going back. Not only that, but we want to get involved, hard core involved like teaching Sunday school or working with high school, doing the college Sunday school class or the singles class or singing in the choir for Christmas and participating in all the events and all that junk. God has put us in that church for a reason; yet, we don't know why. Or we're just completely blind to the fact that we don't belong there, sometimes that feels very true. But who knows, I believe it is the first thing. Change can be very hard sometimes, not being as close to some of your best friends, seeing some friendships drift, not talking about God or faith or religion or "Godly, deep" stuff anymore, or encouragement or just not having enough time to just get together and catch up. But this stuff happens, everyone gets busy and start to not have time for any one so you start to drift and fade to the point of not talking and forgetting everything....this is the sin of time; being to busy for God, your relationship with Christ and your relationships with everyone else. Man that was a big tangent but I'm glad that I could just get out because holding it in, so no one will think that you're depressed or annoying or a burden, really makes it worse. But yeah, church was good, wish I could talk to some people about it but I guess I just have to work with what I got...mr. good ol' blogger here. Off to bed for me, running on an awesome trail in the morning in VA beach. :)

No comments: